There is, however, a huge difference between being a manager and a
leader. Managers manage resources; leaders inspire people.

In my new role, I'm having to manage 35  people, most of whom are in
another country (in fact, all except for 1, come to think of it). So I
have to adjust to different cultures, time zones, and histories--and I
find that I spend (unfortunately) much more of my time managing
project resource requests, Internet access requests, soft- and
hardware requests...and less time leading UX initiatives, approaches,
and directions. Now, that's a bad perhaps on me and my company, but
there it is.

When I managed a small documentation team in the early '90s, my boss
(VP of development) said, "When you get to be a manager, you can't
do the cool stuff." Indeed. That's left to the single contributors
& perhaps team leads.

But the bosses? We just MBWA (manage by walking around).

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=21259