A form design query:

I have a very lengthy form for gathering profile
information. Under the most logical grouping of
questions, here is what it appears like:

Title
_____
First name
_____
Last name
_____
Occupation
_____
Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit amet lorem ipsum ?
_____
Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit amet lorem ipsum ?
_____
Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit amet lorem ipsum dolor sit?
_____

So the problem is, the gap between the field label and
text field/dropdown for a short question, is too wide(
unless I frame every label as a long question) but for
the longer question, it is correct. Placing the labels
above the fields, results in the forms getting longer
and the page running into a scroll. With 100+
questions being asked in one go,over several pages, I
would not prefer that the user scroll for more
information.What is the best solution to this problem
and if center alignment is done(which is generally not
recommended), how does it affect Screen Reader( e.g.
Jaws) usage ?

Thanks and Regards
Manish Govind Pillewar
Sr. Designer, User Experience,
Bangalore

Thanks and Regards
  Manish Govind Pillewar
  Sr. User Interface Designer-UXD
  Bangalore-India

  Tel. +91 9880566951 (M)
         +91 80 41113967 (Eve.)
  Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface :-)