Milan: There are a lot of great resources out there, but it's such a
quickly-evolving medium that it's hard to nail down best practices just
yet.

Chris's dismissal is understandable (though harsh) -- after the 2006/2007
hype-monster about Second Life, anything less than 3D utopia feels like a
huge letdown, though I don't think many of us were suprised by the
deflation. But just as the Web was misunderstood by business and marketing
culture in the beginning (and still largely is, imho), Second Life and
other similar spaces still need time for us to realize what they're
*really* good for.

SL is turning out to be, for example, an excellent space for having
certain kinds of presentations and meetings. Irving Wladawsky-Berger
(recently the VP of Innovation, etc at IBM) mentions SL in a more positive
note in a recent post on his blog:
http://blog.irvingwb.com/blog/2007/09/playing-serious.html

Personally, I think any successful massively-multiuser community space
should learn from the basic things we're learning about 2-D social
networks and social services. That's not a bad place to start. There's
some great writing from Henry Jenkins, Peter Kollock, and Clay Shirky. The
work of Yochai Benkler is pretty amazing as well (Wealth of Networks). For
specific presentations on it, slideshare.net has great stuff by Gene
Smith, Rashmi Sinha, Christina Wodtke & Josh Porter. A lot of these I have
linked from a page on my blog: http://www.inkblurt.com/archives/446  where
I link to a presentation of my own about Communities of Practice, which I
think is an important collaboration model to understand especially in
business and practitioner collaboration.

I'm assuming that you're talking about mainly the collaborative aspects,
moreso than the mechanics of making 3D objects and scripts? Plenty of
guidance for the latter is available on wikis and such for SL and similar
places.

Good luck!

---
Andrew Hinton
personal: inkblurt.com

Christopher Fahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
11/06/2007 02:09 PM

IxDA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc

Subject
Re: [IxDA Discuss] IxD for 3D / Virtual Worlds: Looking for     resources

> I am looking for resources on interactive and interaction design
> projects, scenarios and approaches regarding 3D Environemts and
> collaborative virtual worlds, especially in a Business or Enterprise
> related context.

Any business/enterprise that is considering using a 3D environment
for collaboration needs to take a deep breath. There is an enormous
amount of evidence that the whole Second Life thing was a huge scam,
that all of the businesses who got involved got burned badly -- look
for articles about that. The history of the web is littered with the
corpses of companies and products who tried to use 3D to do something
that works just fine in 2D (ex: VRML) So your first question should
really be "why?"

Unless, of course, the business in question's product or service has
to do with 3D graphics: creating 3D animation,  architecture, games,
industrial design, etc. If people need to collaborate about 3D
design, then being in the same virtual world makes perfect sense.

I really hate to be a party-pooper, because this stuff is certainly
fun to work on -- and I still suspect that in a 100 years 3D virtual
worlds will be the norm -- but for now I'd recommend viewing such a
project as an R&D investment.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message,
including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the
property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the
individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient
or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or
distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.