Well, since we're reviving this discussion... ;-)

Alan wrote:
> With respect to radio buttons, there should always be a selected item.
[..]
> The reason for this is that if a person makes a selection, then
> changes her mind, there is no other way to un-set it.

For situations we're talking about here (required field) that may be the
desired situation.

I remember when we designed forms for the UK Inland Revenue (tax) we choose to
have all radio buttons in an initial blank state and make them required. Reason
for this was that supplying a (reasonable) default would be seen as "filling
out the form for the user" which was very much not done: tax papers were to be
filled out by the user alone.

Peter
--
Peter Boersma | Senior Interaction Designer | Info.nl
http://www.peterboersma.com/blog | http://www.info.nl