The company that I work for uses analytics to back up almost
everything we do. From multivariate testing of new interface design
within the user experience department to merchandising products
within the marketing department.

I definitely agree that it has uses in multiple areas of the business
although whoever is in charge of analyzing the data should have a
background in statistics and be able to determine if your results are
statistically relevant based on the amount of traffic, frequency, day
of the week, market conditions, etc., etc.

It's easy to glance at some charts spit out by your analytics
package and make false assumptions.