From a usability point of view, if 90% of your users are in the
U.S., it makes sense to put it at the top of the list. However, some
websites (like multinational corporations or NGOs) might not want to
play favorites, for political reasons.

I think if I were putting multiple countries out of alphabetical
order at the top of the list, if would be nice to have a divider to
separate where the alphabetical list begins. That way people can more
easily understand what's going on.

-- Kim

    Kim Bieler Graphic Design
    www.kbgd.com