I come from a graphic design background and am trying to pickup more and
more programming bits of knowledge.  I don't yet hold any title with
"Interaction" in it.  I'm still a very broadly titled "Web Designer" at my
work, but I love it.  By process of elimination (being the sole web
designer) and great interest, I play the role of Interaction Designer.  I
definitely have an interest in the field.  Baby steps, though.

I was lucky enough to have an uncle who owned his own company.  I worked for
him during the summer of 2000 before my freshmen year at college.  At one
point that summer, my uncle asked me to create a photo album for the
website.  I got into HTML a bit using the CoffeeCup editor and was
fascinated.  That gallery lead to creating a new website for the company
(2001) for them and eventually reworking the website for an updated version
in Flash (2004).  Looking back, I disagree with the Flash site idea, but
that's not the point of this thread :-)

In 2000 - first year at college - I took over the role of webmaster of my a
cappella group which gave me a great canvas to work/test on.  Sophomore year
I picked up a second major of Graphic Design.  My work tended to be fairly
simple and minimalistic which is a style I wish I could stray away from
every now and then but I digress.  I did an internship with a multimedia
design company as the web intern.  It was around this time that I started to
realize that confusing websites were annoying and difficult to use.  I began
to try to use common sense more in my designs and following basic ideas like
the fact that the main navigation shouldn't outweigh the sub-nav, content
should be legible, and elements should be able to breathe and easy to
find/use.

As I transitioned into the real world from college and was working in SEO, I
always wanted to redesign client sites to make them more usable (why work so
hard to send traffic to a site that people can't easily use?).  While
looking for jobs in web design, wanting to leave SEO, I started to focus a
lot more in CSS and usability and fell in love with both.

I love that these realms are changing so frequently, but at the same time
there's so much information out there that I find it hard to wrap my head
around it all in order to determine what path I want to follow or
methodology I want to adopt.

Someday I will be an interaction designer!  I'd get paid for doing something
I try to do automatically anyway!

- Scott