On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:08:36, dave malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Of course, at a biological level we all receive signals
> neurologically at the some level of commonality.

According to Pinker's "How the Mind Works", we are all the same more than
just on a neurological level. We have several mechanisms (language,
learning, feelings etc.) that work in the same basic way for all humans,
even if they are adapted to context (culture, age etc.) and manifest
themselves in different ways.

> I also have seen how color interpretations change from culture to
> culture, where as "contrasts" are not seen as stark among some
> people's as others. yes, they are recognized as different. the same
> is true for musicality and other things we often take for granted
> within our academic communities.

Color interpretations change, yes, but the fact that they are interpreted
and given meaning applies to all cultures, I would guess. Same for
contrasts: they may not be as stark, but they are there, and probably
support the same interpretations in every culture (am I wrong?)

What I'm trying to say is: since we are the same in more than just the
biological level and we share common mental mechanisms, then surely there
must exist some universal principles of design that apply to those very
mechanisms we have in common, although the way they are applied will be
adapted to different contexts.

Sebi

--
Sergiu Sebastian Tauciuc