I think it's also worth noting that Arial is still more commonly
installed than Verdana, if you consider all devices and all
platforms. It's been around quite a while longer. When I specify
Verdana for web design, I set Arial and the generic "sans-serif" as
fallbacks because each is progressively more likely to be installed by
default. Most users will have all three, and my guess is that more
than 95 percent will have Arial.

I had long ago bookmarked the same link Maxim sent. The study's
conclusions are a bit too broad, but I think they still have merit. I
agree generally with Andrei on the issue of font readability and the
characteristics of serif and sans-serif fonts, but this bit strikes
fear in my heart: "In the near future, screens will have sufficient
resolution to accommodate serif fonts at smaller sizes, allowing
designers to set body copy with serif fonts which tend to be more
readable in large blocks of content ..."

True enough for those like us on the cutting edge of technology, or
those designing only for high-resolution devices. Not true for users
who will eke the last glowing pixel out of their dirty beige 15-inch
SVGA monitors. I'm one of those ill-mannered people who reminds
designers that they can't count on all users having the equivalent
of their own quad-core dual-monitor nitrogen-cooled supercomputers
with high-speed internet connection. And designers hate me for it. Go
ahead. Take a number and get in line.

Low-vision users I've interviewed remind me that contrast has a lot
to do with readability, and that there seems to be an optimum range
of contrast that's comfortable for most users -- probably all users.
I'd like to be able to put numbers on that contrast range, if anyone
has data (hah! -- as if you'd share it now that I've invited your
scorn).

Too little contrast is well known to cause eye fatigue, but for many
people a common frustration is too much contrast. Any small black
type on white screens causes tremendous eye strain if you're reading
a lot of text, because you're actually glaring directly into a light
source. We almost instinctively control the light and contrast of a
written page by adjusting ambient lighting, but most users aren't
yet conditioned to modify screen settings at will.

The more robust fonts like Verdana, Georgia and even Rockwell are
more accepted on the Web than traditional printing fonts. Even the
dreaded Comic Sans has a following. That's at least partly because
their shape and weight enhance their overall contrast, and this
directly affects readability on all platforms. I still love some of
the more traditional fonts (Palatino, Garamond, Bookman, Helvetica,
and others), but in most cases I'd be inclined to use them only as
display fonts when designing for the screen -- until *everyone* has
very-hi-def.