Shaun Bergmann wrote:
> I hope I am not alone in finding at least some level of frustration with
> just about every iteration of ATM interfaces installed from just about any
> financial institution.

The biggest crime is designing screens with lines connecting labels to
buttons as if people looked at the screen head-on. As ATMs in financial
institutions are almost invariably installed at a height suitable to
wheelchair-bound persons the screen is typically about a foot or two
below eye level for an able-bodied customer. Labels and buttons are as a
result typically a good half-inch out of level, making for quite
confusing interactions, especially when buttons are small and tightly
grouped.

Given that most of the buttons on an ATM's screen are usually unused, it
may be worth considering skipping buttons on non-binary-option screens.
This would avoid the worry about whether the button you're about to
press is for English or Cantonese, whether you're about to withdraw $40
or $200, and whether you're about to deposit your paycheque to your
chequing account or your visa card...

-m