Hi

I use Last.fm daily, so I will speak from this point of view.

I came across that page once, clicked on that link, got to the MusicBrainz
website, read through to "MusicBrainz is a community music metadatabase that
attempts to create a comprehensive music information site. ", didn't even
notice the download links (too small?), remembered all I wanted from
last.fmwas to listen to music, closed the MusicBrainz website and got
back to my
business.

I guess motivation is a good factor to consider when asking users to 'do
things the right way'. When I navigate to a page that says 'Invalid tag', I
am not that motivated to start fiddling with my ID3 tags or learn how to use
a new piece of software.
But when a song I like can't be recognized, because it has a bad or missing
tag, and I can't add it to 'My Loved Tracks' for that reason, then maybe it
would be a good time to remind me that there is (if there really is) a tool
that could help me get those tags in order *automatically*.

This last.fm user spoke.
Sebi

On Jan 18, 2008 11:34 PM, Vlad Fratila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I recently stumbled across some papers about taxonomy/folksonomy (mind
> you,
> I'm still a student).
> I noticed the common oppinion about folksonomies is that they are not
> reliable because of the
> synonymy of the language.
> (
>
> http://www.adammathes.com/academic/computer-mediated-communication/folksonomies.html
> )
>
> So today I find this image on last.fm
> http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/160/405256.jpg
> You can find it at this page http://www.last.fm/music/Kooks
>
> IxDA has 2 topics on this, quite theoretical and interesting:
> http://ixda.org/discuss.php?post=9948
> and
> http://ixda.org/discuss.php?post=16143
>
> I'm curious for thoughts about the method last.fm is using to clean up
> their
> tags. For now, it does not seem much.
> And if this is older, the fact that I haven't seen it until now must mean
> something.
>
> How would you "normalize" their tags though? What techniques are being
> used
> for this? What is the best practice?
> (Sorry if this is a bad post, but they say theory is one thing, practice
> another :)

Sergiu Sebastian Tauciuc
http://www.sergiutauciuc.ro/en/