A more abstract question is this -

Why are essentially two independant wizard like form operations happening
inside of tabs to begin with? Is that the right metaphor to separate out
different categories, types of interactions, workflows....

What does the tab metaphor mean in the context of the application - there
are plenty of other navigation metaphors out there - does it make sense
under your current application context?

- Will

On Jan 23, 2008 5:36 PM, Shep McKee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It depends. ;)
> This is an issue I constantly run into as web apps become more
> complex. The same interaction patterns are being used for 2 different
> purposes: (1) pure navigation or (2) as a card stack / tabbed dialog /
> (whatever you want to call it).
>
> In the end - it really depends on context and user expectations. Do
> some ad hoc user testing. If you do maintain state - consider an
> option to reset the process to it's initial state. Some issues I
> consider...
> - If either Process A or Process B are complex - then maintain state.
> - If Process A and Process B are dependent on each other - then (most
> probably) yes, maintain states.
> - If Process A and Process B are not dependent on each other - then it
> could go either way
>
> Regards, Shep McKee
>

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Connor, Adam wrote:
>
> > I feel like the answer to this should be pretty cut-and-dry, but I
> > can't
> > help but second guess myself.
> >
> > I'm working on a web app with a tabbed interface (what else is new).
> > Under each tab is a workflow that carries the user through a few
> > screens
> > in order to reach a result.
> >
> > Consider the following, I have two tabs Tab A and Tab B.  Under Tab
> > A is
> > Process A and under Tab B is Process B. If a user begins Process A,
> > and
> > at any point clicks on Tab B (for any reason) when the user returns to
> > Tab A, should they be placed at the same point in Process A as they
> > were
> > when they left?
> >
> > I go back and forth, so I'm hoping getting more opinions will help me
> > make a final decision. Let me know if I made the question too
> > confusing.
> >
> > -adam

> > This e-mail transmission may contain information that is
> > proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is intended
> > exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use,
> > copying, retention or disclosure by any person other than the
> > intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is strictly
> > prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
> > please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all
> > copies.

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
will evans
user experience architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]