On Jan 28, 2008, at 11:42 AM, dave malouf wrote:

> Andrei does interaction design require pixels? I.e. is there always a
> need for a screen? Is what the interaction designer/UI designer
> working on always embedded inside of said screen?

In my market space, yes. In other market spaces, I can see how it
would not. But you are also talking to someone who calls that person
an "interface designer," so I never had to worry about that sort of
confusion since interfaces are largely digital in conception.

> If we are limiting to just screen-based IxD/UID then we are probably
> looking at the opposite orientation of making a SIG for the type of
> work you are discussing.

See the message I posted out of order. (Been spending the past few
days on a new contract, so I'm out of order on what has been said. My
apologies.) The larger issue is actually more fundamental: do
interaction designers need to have aesthetic skills?

The answer to that question makes the rest of the entire debate/
argument/discussion, etc., simplified. If the answer is yes, then the
whole discussion is VASTLY simplified. If the answer is no, then I
think it begs the question on whether interaction design is the field
to help define things like what it means to work on digital products,
since aesthetics are integral to those products in the same way
aesthetics are integral to industrial design.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world