Andrei, if I understand your position, you're saying that a command
of visual aesthetics should be core to the discipline of interaction
design. I don't mean to gloss over my disagreement.

If it were "core" to the discipline, browsing through a few Tufte
books as you suggest upstream wouldn't nearly cover it. It might be
enough to kickstart the basic understanding I advocate for
interaction designers, but not to cover the core skills of a
specialization like interface design. I view the degree of focus
necessary for good interface design as similar in intensity to
industrial and graphic design. Comparing interaction design is more
difficult; I view it as a generalist discipline. It's like comparing
apples and produce.

Interestingly, Carnegie Mellon had been exploring the possiblity of
breaking down the walls between their degrees and simply graduating
"designers" a few years ago. I don't know if they're still on
that or not.

// jeff