I'm going to be designing a *printed* user guide for an enterprise-
level phone system -- actually a much more interesting job than I
would have thought, assuming they actually want some design and not
just a layout.

Anyway, I have a copy of of the manuscript and I see that this system
is loaded with features and combinations of buttons to do all kinds
of crazy stuff with your phone. So I'm wondering if anyone can point
me in the direction of a study, or any anecdotal reports, of how
people actually use these things? Obviously, I'll be asking my client
if they have any such information, too.

My guess is it follows the 80/20 principle -- 20% of the features
(accessing voice mail, recording an away greeting, etc.) are used 80%
of the time, with most of the features going unused. So I'm wondering
if something like scenarios would help people discover the more
advanced features that they might not otherwise know about. Like "I'm
going on vacation," or "I want my calls to roll over to my
assistant," or "I want to tell everyone in my division that we're
having birthday cake on the fifth floor."

Any suggestions? (You can probably tell I never let a completed
manuscript stand in the way of suggesting major overhauls to the
copy... )

-- Kim

    Kim Bieler Graphic Design
    www.kbgd.com