Being a Senior Designer is more then leading into the bleading edge,
(although you should be knowledgeable of this).

It's important to rember a non-trivial value of being a Senior Designer is
simply business experience in design situations. Think in terms of
University "teachs you how to learn", not ""just what you learned".

I'm leading a  UX team and most of my team knows more about the latest
greatest then I do. What I bring to the table is experience in initial
organization and forcasting implications of design decision across the
entire SDLC, including SME Buy-in, Engineering LOE, UAT Testing, QA Testing,
Beginner User Acceptance, Intermediate User Acceptance, and Advanced User
Acceptance.

My "Senior" insight aides my team in the following ways:

Structuring the problem
Initial planning and prioritization,
Evaluating Strengths, Weaknesses, Threats and Opportunities given
certain designd ecisions and relations between designs.
Worrying upfront about design implications
Keeping calm in later stages given plans change or feedback isn't all rosy.

None of the above skills tend to be excelled at by Junior Designers, simply
because they haven't failed in 20 different ways.

Rich

Joseph Rich Rogan
President UX/UI Inc.
http://www.jrrogan.com