On Feb 12, 2008 9:53 AM, Lukeisha Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It seems that although IxDers do not necessarily have their hands deep in
> technology in terms of the implementation of it, we still need to know the
> capabilities of the technology behind what we are designing, so as to not
> request impossible solutions.  Working on different types of technical
> products (other than web technology) is one of my goals for the future.
>
> Those of you who do not ONLY do IxD for websites/web applications, what
> product types did you begin your IxD experience?

don't know if this counts but i started as a hobbyist developing my own
programs back in the late 80s just as 16 bit home computers were coming out.
think 8mhz and 512KB of RAM.

many of the features of these operating systems laid the groundwork for how
so-called modern OSs work - for ex: using resource files for separating
languages and text-strings from apps, windows, dialogs, alert boxes,
background tasks in the form of desk accessories, device dependency,
bitmapped fonts, etc.

i wrote simple programs that ranged from utilities (front end shells, disk
formatters and copy programs) to games and learned by creating or
experimenting with interfaces. later, i got into low-end game development as
a game artist, designer and beta-tester and did still more UI work.

> Then, how did you transition from one to another?  For example, if you
> started out in the web, how did you move on to doing IxD for medical
> devices, hand-held non-web applications, desktop apps, etc.?

given my early exposure with so-called ancient computers, transitioning for
me has been relatively easy as what's new now is actually really old!

for ex: web apps are now starting to look like desktop apps from 1990-1993.

ways of interacting with them haven't changed substantially because
technologies like Flash, Java and AJAX run sandboxed by the browser and
early 90s OSs were basically single-tasking.

the eye-candy has changed. latency has improved but aside from 3D
interfaces, it's nothing too outrageous.

cell phones and PDAs are on average, about as powerful as 8bit and 16bit
computers.

many of the same limitations that challenged developers in 1993 exist today.
the main difference is that users are actually less technical today than
they were then because i got into computer when they were in 8% of US homes.
now they're in 80% or more.