I was talking to Kevin Carey from the RNIB on Saturday about this
subject and he is of the opinion that audio descriptions SHOULD start
automatically, as otherwise non-sighted users may never find the button
to turn it on.
He also likened it to turning on a TV set and then needing to press an
extra button to get sound.

I can see the points he makes as being valid and am still having a lot
of internal debates about this point. I am someone who only has speakers
on if listening to music and don't like it when I get interrupted by a
voice on a site, but maybe this is an area where the youth of the web as
a medium needs these thoughts to be readdressed.