On 2/19/08, Loren Baxter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Did anyone else see Daft Punk rocking out at the Grammys? They played the
> coolest instruments I've ever seen - four multitouch screens with various
> graphical elements controlling an array of synth and software backend.  (

You've touched on one of my obsessions... interaction design for creativity.
I'm an electronic musician, and it was through working with machines to
create music that I decided on User Experience Design (or as I thought of it
at the time UI Design) as a career (over technical writing).

But yes, the Lemur is an amazing piece of equipment, and its price is
equally mind-boggling. Using four of them is complete insanity and borders
on fiscal irresponsibility. : )

Here are some other examples of particularly unique musical IxD:

Novation Remote SL: http://tinyurl.com/2kqgj8

One of the biggest issues in electronic music today is this shift from
physical instruments (synths, drum machines, mixers, etc.) to software
simulations. Now, computers have few affordances for music creation, so the
creative flow is always interrupted by having to do something "computery"
like using a mouse to select a different track and open its virtual
instrument. Once you're there, you'd then need to move the mouse up and down
to move a knob on the instrument. MIDI controllers that allow you to assign
these controls to physical knobs have been around for awhile, but you have
to explicitly program the knob, etc. assignments and then call up the
correct assignment when you switch instruments. The Remote SL is unique in
that it automatically adapts itself to the selected instrument on the
selected track. You never have to assign knobs or program it in any way
(although you can). You can even switch tracks using its physical UI, and
you can go into a special Mixer Mode in which you're controlling the
channels on your DAW rather than a virtual instrument. Using this device,
musicians are able to bring the musicality out of the computer.

Native Instruments KORE: http://tinyurl.com/ys2ran

KORE is... somewhat difficult to describe. It is many things, but there are
two things it does that put it on my list of good musical IxD. First, it
attempts to solve the problem of finding the right sound. It allows users to
classify patches from nearly any software synthesizer using an extensible
faceted navigation system. Now, for those musicians who already have tons of
soft synths with all their requisite patches, classifying all that is a
somewhat daunting task. I look back to when I first created my iTunes
library and assigned correct genres and ratings to every song. It was a lot
of work, but it was worth it in the end. It's other advancement (and I'm not
entirely sure it can do this... the videos, etc. are unclear) is that it
allows you to *select* those patches using the hardware interface. I'm not
sure you can use the faceted navigation system with the hardware, but
regardless that makes using soft synths one step closer to using a real
synth. ("Real synth... heh.")

Ableton Live: http://www.ableton.com/live

Live is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that was originally developed to
allow people to compose and perform loop-based music... um... live. Hence
its name. This is *revolutionary* when it comes to DAWs. The thought of
using others like Cubase, Sonar, or even Logic or Pro Tools live gives me
the willies. Since then, it has expanded and now does MIDI as well. Live
does a *superb* job of getting out of the musician's way. I will attempt to
be brief by talking about its main feature. You can pull loops in while the
application is playing, then drop others on top of it, regardless of
tempo... it will automatically sync them up. Then you can bring them in and
out, and everything stays in sync. In fact, there's nothing the application
does that you can't do while it's playing (except application configuration,
which you wouldn't do live anyway). Also, it's visually beautiful. Other
DAWs are just... fugly.

In a less commercial vein, I talked to a guy at interaction08 who develops
what I would describe as "artistic physical sequencer interfaces." One of
them is based on wood blocks, while another is based on *pools of
water*(!!!).

http://www.jeffhoefs.com/

Enjoy,
Fred

(Oh... yes, the iPhone interface is real... I think it's mainly for Pro
Tools though... Google for "iphone pro tools" and you'll find it again)