On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:11:11, mosquito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> you sure that owning four lemur's borders on "fiscal
> irresponsibility?" i'm thinking its more jealousy that someone has
> four of them. ;)

Guilty. But still. That's over $10k worth of gear in controllers alone! : )

personally i don't know if i would have included really any of the
> items listed as being unique IxD. the novation itself is nothing
> revolutionary. just a keyboard with a collection of pots and faders.

Being a keyboard with pots and faders is not what I was saying makes it
revolutionary... what makes it revolutionary is that it *automatically
assigns* those pots & faders based on the instrument selected. And on top of
that, it allows you to move between tracks without touching the computer.

it does show the values at the top, but i've found those values to be
> only useful if you are programming CC messages and values.  otherwise
> the computer screen is really giving you everything you need.

That's just my point... the computer is not a musical instrument. But a
keyboard is. And this particular keyboard interfaces with a computer such
that it extracts the musicality from the mechanism... for electronic
musicians, pressing a button to switch sounds is a no-brainer... but using a
mouse to do so, then the brain has to switch to "using a computer" mode. No
thanks. When I'm making music I want to be making music, not messing around
with a computer. (Which is precisely *why* I've avoided softsynths until
now.)

recently started using one of the behringer bcf2000 (8 faders   pots
> and buttons) and programmed the cc messages specifically for how i
> use ableton.

Yep. And using that Novation thing you wouldn't have had to do that. That's
the unique IxD here... removing the machine-centric BS from the workflow.

outside of the lemur the most impressive interface to me is the
> monome (http://monome.org) because of it's ability to react how i
> want/need it too. one of the members of bjork's band is using an
> interesting control surface, though it comes across more as
> performance art to me.

Yes, bad me. I omitted the monome and the tenori-on in my original post.

And isn't performance... art? : )

F.