On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Matthew Nish-Lapidus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dave, you've said things like this is the past on the list, and while
> I understand what you're saying conceptually, there's some fuzziness
> because of the comparatively young age of IxD.

Are we really that Young? I mean the term has been floated around for
decades at this point? Yes, we are relatively young compared to  graphic or
industrial design, but I really feel we gotta get over this problem. It's
like some out of college who doesn't take responsibility for their taxes b/c
they are "young". Feels like a crock at this point, no? I'm not picking on
your Matt, but on the entire community. I think the best way to grow up is
to act like it, no?

A lot of people here started off as other types of designers, or as
> other things all together... so if you start your career as an
> interface designer, or an interface developer and want to become and
> interaction designer, at what point do you stop being an interface
> designer that does some interaction design and become an interaction
> designer that does some interface design?

I Think Todd is right that there is overlap. But I do believe that there are
umbrellas and there are distinctions.
So for me an "interaction designER" is someone who's primary focus is on
"interaction design". So for me, this fits nicely, but also not completely
accurrately as I also do "experience planning" which to me is a very
strategic engagement but some would call "interaction design" out right.
About 60% of my job though is "interaction design". I do direction of UI
Design (the presentation layer) and I also do research and planning in the
remaining 40% (not counting administrative stuff). for me I see my pole of
my "T shape" as "interaction design", so I call myself an "interaction
design". I will say though that the more experienced I become and the
"higher up" I go in the chain the more strategic my work becomes and it
becomes more about the total experience, than about the "interactions" or
'behaviors" of the solutions I work on.

Is the solution to the issue to say that everyone should call themselves
"X", like lawyer or doctor? Maybe, but I'm not convinced yet. There are so
many different environments and different cultures and I'm not sure one
solution fits all. Even in industrial design, you get industrial designer,
product designer, and even a few others. Graphic designers also have
"information designer", "communications designer", "typographer", etc.

-- dave

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/