Since I know about my own experience, I'll stick to it.

My portfolio is a PowerPoint file (and anyone who knows me will find
that hysterically funny) because (1) I have NDAs that specify I can't
reproduce work done online; (2) I've done a lot of work on internal
and password protected sites, so they aren't accessible; (3) I've
worked with a lot of startups that went out of business (but many of
the NDAs are still enforceable); (4) Many of the projects I've worked
on have been superceded by later work; (5) Many of my salient
deliverables are text based. In short, why require employers to refer
to two separate portfolios.

Is it optimal? no. Is it a reasonable representation of what I've
done? probably...and it has the advantage of allowing me to explain
my role in each project clearly.

So, the reasons I use the type of portfolio and treat it as I do are
precisely your reasons for finding print style portfolios depressing.

In fact, it seems you object to the content, not the presentation
method. If you want a portfolio that tells you what the person's role
was, what the project was, what the challenges were, what kind of
team they worked with, then why not say *that* rather than blaming
the presentation method. I've seen a lot more online portfolios that
just point me to the sites than I have print portfolios that do the
same.

Katie