Everyone should have a portfolio in print form.
It just speaks to a level of preparedness and covering as many bases as
possible, which exemplifies what this type of work is about. My online presence
runs a gamut of the different things I do. I am less likely to update that for
each and every meeting. The printed book is easier to play around with. Also,
in the event that you have am agreement with a client not to post samples, but
can show them (and not leave anything behind) the print portfolio is where this
will occur.

My own portfolio reflects what the position is that I am after, with a few
other things thrown in that I think might be a good aside, based on the job
description I have read or been told about, as well as the result of any phone
conversation with the prospective client. This gives me the opportunity to move
through the book and point out examples relevant to the conversation, as well
as go off into a tangential thought if the opportunity is there and makes sense
to do so.

Typically, each meeting has me going through the portfolio to include or
exclude some things in order to customize it to the interview. I may reshuffle
items as well to have a different order. Some clients don't care to see a
portfolio at all, but I always bring it with me. I have been in interviews in
conference rooms where there are no computers, and so calling up a sample isn't
always possible. With the rush of the day-to-day, you can find yourself
shuttered off in a small makeshift conference room and if you don't have
something to emphasize an idea or address the point-blank "show me your
portfolio" question, it makes for a difficult discussion.