Matt-
Here are two suggestions depending on how your information is processed.

1. If you're doing your validation on the fly using javascript, using
something like the "lost focus" event, then you can just put the message
right where the user is, since whatever they just did triggered the
error.  This works even if the error actually exists somewhere else; for
instance, if I put in my ZIP code on page 1 of a form, and the state I
live in on page 2, and there was a conflict, I should put the message
next to the "state" field that triggered the error if there is a
conflict, even though the most likely reason is that I fat-fingered the
ZIP.  At least then I know where to go to fix it.

2. If you're validating on the submit action, then you can cerate a
"status" box at the top of the form that gives both success, warning,
and error messages in list form.  You just need to make sure that the
messages are well-referenced; of course you know better than to say
"invalid value in field 36", unless "field 36" is the actual label of
the input.

Hope that helps,
Dante

Dante Murphy | Director of Information Architecture | D I G I T A S  H E
A L T H
229 South 18th Street | Rittenhouse Square | Philadelphia, PA 19103 |
USA
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.digitashealth.com