From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Ryon Brown
Sent: March 13, 2008 12:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [IxDA Discuss] closed captioning

Thanks for all the really great threads. They help more than you know!

My question:

I am working on a long-term project that involves creating a series of
SCORM (shareable content object reference model) and 508 compliant
online training pieces for a government customer. Our latest project is
an animated software demo with zooms, captions, cursor recording, etc.
The movie is a SWF played in an HTML shell.

I recently pressed to add a expandable/collapsible closed-captioning
option. I did a little leg-work to find out the feasibility of this
feature. I discovered that it could be done with relatively little pain
and suffering. The problem is, for my life, I can't convince anyone else
of the virtue of this idea (I'm the new guy here).

I'm prior military service myself and am coming from the perspective
that since this product will mainly serve a military audience, there may
be situations where the computer used may not have audio capabilities or
the location where it is viewed may not be conducive to open-speaker
use. I figure it's a risky bet to hope everyone in the latter situation
will also have headphones on them. :-)

Is there a precedence for this kind of thing? (*I know this is a basic
accessibility issue - and even could enhance usability in a way - but I
mainly want to figure out if closed captioning is the best way to handle
this...)

Please, any comments either way would help!

Best,

Ryon Brown

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (my profile email)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.s., we do have a downloadable pdf transcript of the lessons also, but
I want to do more...

Ryon Brown

Training Technologist

(a new usability advocate with very