>  Devoting time, (talented) manpower, (both of which mean) money, and,
>  importantly, attention will produce good results. It's no secret, at
>  Apple or anywhere else. William James noted that "Our beliefs and our
>  attention are the same fact." Which is to say that what we pay
>  attention to is what we believe in. This is true of organizations as
>  well as individuals. If the design process is followed and the
>  organization devotes its resources to it (and the follow-through of
>  manufacturing/development), the products are probably going to be
>  better, all things being equal.

I agree.  The secret sauce is simply the culture of the organization.
Time and time again, the best designs and products come from
companies/organizations that have a dedicated vision of the importance
of good design.  From the top down, the entire organization is willing
and ready to put the people, time, and money into getting it right.

That's what business is...isn't it.  A huge power struggle for people,
time, and money.