Lukeisha,

I took a job once where I hoped the firm owner would become a mentor.
I said as much in the interview. Not only did this not happen, but
after a year of working there, I had nothing to show for it
professionally. Everything I had worked on was the continuation of a
previously existing project and I became suspicious that he had
stopped assigning me new design work.

I mentioned my suspicion to him and he confirmed that yes, he didn't
have confidence in my design ability. I was floored, but at least I
knew the truth.

So, I was faced with a dilemma. I could either believe his assessment
that I was a bad designer, or I could believe my clients and others
who said I was a good designer. I had a lot at stake -- my career, my
self worth, my dreams.  Ultimately, I decided that his opinion did
not count and that moreover, I couldn't afford to believe him.

That realization -- that I had a CHOICE what to believe -- was enough
to empower me. I put in my resignation the next day and embarked on a
freelance career that I have never regretted.

-- Kim

    Kim Bieler Graphic Design
    www.kbgd.com