> what academic courses have proven to be the most valuable in
> providing you with the conceptual and practical skills to succeed at
> your profession??

What helped me so far:

Graduate design seminar: theory/philosophy/strategy of design thinking

Integrated Product Development (IPD): design + biz + tech "real
project" stuff

Intro to interface design: UI, flows, wireframes, mockups, etc.

Figure drawing (I also took a class on Scientific Illustration, which
I highly recommend!)

and... Shakespeare, Economics, Art History, Intro to Ethics (liberal
arts thinking/writing and broad cultural exposure for problem solving/
ideation, dealing with human drama and politics, which are the center
of any workplace conflict, esp. design!)

Hope that helps :-)

Uday Gajendar
Sr. Interaction Designer
Voice Technology Group