I've been really trying to stay away from this... but I have to chime
in.

On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Dave Meeker wrote:

> The biggest advantages of using the Flash player as a runtime for
> your RIA
> as opposed to using AJAX:
>
> 1) Write once, deploy cross platform

That "pro" is also it's biggest con, in that you are tying yourself,
your product and everything you do to Adobe in what is effectively a
closed and proprietary format. In other words, you are at the mercy
of the Adobe folks getting it right year over year as technology
continues to evolve.

> 2) You can turn your Flex application into a desktop application
> without
> much code refactoring (using AIR).

Indeed. This is a nice argument for creating a thin client product.
But mixing these products into browser environments as well as having
desktop versions is massively confusing in my opinion. I actually
think Flash/Flex is better for the thin client approach, and
desperately wish people would stop embedding massively complex Flash
apps inside web browsers where they make little sense.

> 3) With the evolution of browsers, you can be less concerned about
> how to
> migrate your code to keep up with changes in the Document Object
> Model in
> AJAX, as the Flash player is backwards compatible.

This is an argument for dropping the web browser as a development
platform. However, if Adobe ever were honest about that product path,
they'd probably lose 90% of the people who would even be interested
in using Flash/Flex. Why? Because the products would live outside the
massive deployment model of the web browser. Unfortunate as that is.

So, in short... be careful with this point. It will burn a lot of
people when you get into the heart of *WHY* it is the case.

> 4) The Flash player now has hardware acceleration... so you can
> build UI's
> that look and feel the way YOU want the to, and not be limited by your
> development technology

No. You are still limited by whatever Flash can or cannot do as a
platform. Let's not even bring up how crappy text handling still is
to this day in the Flash rendering environment.

> 5) 3-d integration (using papervision or another framework)

No one cares about this. Ok... maybe 3% of the development teams out
there do... but really, no one cares about this point.

> 6) Handles LOTS of data much, much, much better (data grids with
> tons of
> rows, etc)

Based on what metrics? I have yet to find a Flash/Flex app that
handles large sets of data faster or better that a well implemented
browser or desktop version. They all have their pitfalls, especially
when done improperly. And yes, this includes and understanding that
even if you could display a thousand rows of data in less than a
second, people can't process it on something as coarse as the
resolution of a computer screen, so who cares?

> All in all, it's been a really good tool in my experiences... But I
> preface
> that by saying I've been fortunate enough to work with some pretty
> talented
> software engineers that really know the framework and how to make
> it sing.

That's obviously a big issue. The thing I have yet to understand is
that if I'm working with that kind of engineering group, which I have
have done so many times in my past, why not just build a real desktop
client application and regain control of everything you need to gain
control of. Sure, *some* of the up front engineering may take a tad
longer than going the RIA route, but given the total and full amount
of control you'll get for that investment,

Now... I'm not saying Flex/Silverlight or any of those technologies
are bad or anything. But what I am tired of are people who aren't
discussing the pros and cons of all of them at a purely agnostic,
"what happens" level, letting people decide for themselves what they
really need to do for their product development. Your list crosses
that line for me.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios