On Apr 9, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Jim Hoekema wrote:

> Still, it seems almost all the examples are histories (sort of) of
> interactive TECHNOLOGIES, and what would be really nice is a
> history of
> INTERACTION DESIGN in a more technology-agnostic way.

The whole notion of interaction design being "technology agnostic" is
a relatively new concept as near as I can tell. And when I've brought
it up in that context, I've often meant agnostic to digital
technology, but I've never been specific I admit. As such, I doubt
you'll find anything historically that discusses "interaction design"
in that way of thinking. In fact... Design has *always* been driven
and founded in technology, considering that design is often a human
endeavor to reform the word around them by their own hands with their
own tools.

Every tool, printing press, building materials, chemicals, etc...
That's all technology.

What some people on this list consider "interaction design" is
nothing more than a new term on a collection of older practices from
established design fields. It should be noted that giving your
profession a new term however, does not make it "new." And by that, I
mean to think

For this particular thread, to find examples of "technology agnostic"
in design history, simply go back and read a lot of industrial design
books. Henry Dreyfuss's "Designing for People" is an obvious classic.
Go read about Eames, or learn about Norman Bel Geddes and even go
back to Gerrit Rietveld. It's all there.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world