B.J. Fogg's book, Persuasive Technology, is a good discussion about
the application of persuasive principles in the design of products and
services.  You might also want to get a basic textbook on social
psychology -- most social psych books have a chapter on persuasion.
The other excellent work on persuasive principles is the work by
Robert Cialdini. The examples in Fogg's book are mostly real examples
from many areas of persuasion technology. The Cialdini reference is:

Cialdini, R. (2001). Influence: Science and practice (4th Ed.).
Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.

For a paper that summarizes some of the major persuasion  principles
for a travel site see
http://www.travelsmart.vic.gov.au/doi/doielect.nsf/2a6bd98dee287482ca256915001cff0c/2e596ae6a2fa68e5ca256f9600158711/$FILE/Seethaler2004.pdf

Chauncey