Our UX Design team has been using Axure for workflow, wireframe and also to
build (low-high fidelity) prototypes.

You output an HTML prototype, as well as a word document with screens and notes
as spec document.

The interactivity can be somewhat limited for more sophisticated functionality,
but so far we've been able to get a lot done with this tool.

The application is pretty simple to use, so the learning curve is not so bad.
http://www.axure.com/default.aspx

We also use iRise, which is much more robust and obviously a lot more expense
too, which has impacted its dissemination internally. Learning curve is much
greater than Axure. Some of us went through training with iRise consultants.

The huge downside on iRise, in my opinion, is the fact that you can't output
HTML, you have to use their proprietary reader for folks to review the
prototype and spec document.

http://www.irise.com/

If you want to try something that gives you more flexibility on the early
stages of the project and not have to spend too much time creating your
wireframes, I would recommend Axure.

Cheers,
Fabio

Fabio L. Fernandes
User Experience Design Manager, CUA

Cengage Learning, Digital Solutions Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
650.413.7492 (Office)
650.591.1680 (Fax)