>But the point is that people will not try to
>automatically decode a symbolic metaphor with no motivation because they
>don't assume the same principles as they do for language metaphors.

One of my hobbies is collecting metaphors. Beats stamps ;)

Your quote relates to my biggest gripe of experimental/exploratory
UI's like those in Kai Tools for a number of years, and is starting to
happen on the web as everyone tries to differentiate themselves.   By
trying to break out of the conventions/ metaphors being used, they
force exploration and rediscovery, that I suspect frustrate new users
and many will opt not to do

. Relatedly  I suspect that many UX teams get so entrenched in the
metaphors that they forget that exist, as one of the powers of
metaphors are to encapsulate complexity.  I see this all the time in
dev teams, who after months of programming have lost the naivity of a
person who has never seen their system before, and while for a pro
everything is 3 clicks away, a newbie doesn't even know where to click
the 1st time.

>  For the iPod, people figured out how to make the touch circle control work
>  because they were fascinated by the device, were pressured by other users
>  and the media... etc. Funology stuff.

Good example/term.  The touch circle is an interesting example as it's
hijacks existing metaphors, say a volume knob or to turn the station
in a car radio, but since it's not a physically moving device and the
feedback is on the display it's different.    If looking at the bigger
pictures, it's not actually a new idea, as the pro audio mixing
consoles started treating sliders and fader and knobs as virtual, to
allow easy rewiring. The same knob might be volume, panning, EQ. Some
consoles moved to purely touch faders like the Kaos pad, which predate
the ipod.

Funology relatedly I like how games create novel metaphors, that often
only have value in the context of the game. I remember looking over
the shoulder of a player raptly entranced in the world of everquest
(early version, crappy graphics) and realized just like a person
reading a book, the real power was not in the basic elements but
rather the interpretted values and investments.

   I have been wondering how to leverage good game dynamics (like
progressive difficulty) to teach real world skills, in real world apps
or life.   Say  short term pleasure + long term pain vrs short term
pain + long term pleasure, as often learning new tricks about a UI or
life requires to get to the next plateau.  Since I work on children's
educational tools this is probably more applicable to my field than
everyone, I wonder how long it will be before application UI's take
the approach of game ui's that powerful items have to earned. So say
notepad morphs into Word as the user gains mastery.

Troy.