I've worked as the UX application design lead within Agile processes for 9
or so years. I've experienced a few key initiatives which increase Design
success with Agile, and which make projects more successful in general.

Key Initiatives for Design success with Agile process:

1. Be flexible with the "Agile Methodology" – use aspects that work,
deprecate those that don't. Dogmatic process adherence can kill a project.

2. Keep design artifacts one iteration ahead of engineering – Design doesn't
have to be waterfall, rather design has laid out a roadmap with architecture
and business, and these deliverables are consumed, negotiated and enhanced
with engineering.

3. Design Strategic Interface/Interaction "Scaffolding" upfront/ in first
iteration – (This assumes the organization has Strategic vision, if not,
good luck and cash your checks quick ;). Strategic vision into the business
domain and objectives are the design drivers. With this information design
can build interface "Scaffolding" to be reused and adapted to multiple
situations, (see "pattern libraries").  Note these interface patterns can
include deep domain specific interactions, which become component building
blocks. Interface scaffolding components should be "minimum viable" in
functionality and design, this will aide in all aspects of usability, design
and development, including consistency, ease of testing and training.

Has anyone else had success with these initiatives or others within an Agile
process?

On 4/19/08, Sean Goggins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think the conflict between design and agile development methods is best
> understood by reflecting on the values conflict between the two
> disciplines.
>
> Here's a full list of the principles of  agile development:
>
> http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
>
> These principles are ones I think designers and developers/technolgists
> will
> agree on in most cases:
> Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
> of work not done--is essential.
>
> Welcome changing requirements, even late in
> development. Agile processes harness change for
> the customer's competitive advantage.
>
> These two fight design values the most:
> Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
> through early and continuous delivery
> of valuable software.
>
> Working software is the primary measure of progress.
>

> This one has some risk because technology is "excellent", but design is
> merely "Good"...
> Continuous attention to technical excellence
> and good design enhances agility.
>
> Ten years ago software development was in a crisis.  Agile methods have
> made
> a significant, positive impact on software development quality and
> productivity.  As somebody with a software development background who is
> currently working both sides in the development of social software systems
> in a research environment, I found this question interesting, and I hope
> the
> response is helpful.
>

> --
> Sean P. Goggins
> http://www.goggins.com
>
> ``Design is what you do when you don't [yet] know what you are doing.''
> -- George Stiny, Professor of Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of
> Technology,
>
> "The game is a lot better because he played it, and I think that's the
> criteria that matters most."
> --Mike Ditka on Brett Favre
>
> http://www.wisconsinidea.wisc.edu/history.html

Joseph Rich Rogan