I did have numerous email accounts before having gmail (100+), and the
difference to me is that you always read or scan the information that is
presented on the same page if this information in placed on the left of the
inlog.

Attention to place the inlog not to much to the right neither: people with
small screens and not immediately computerwise get completely confused not
finding the inlog when it disappears from their screens.

Pieter Jansegers
http://webosophy.ning.com