Just wanted to follow up on the comments by Gretchen and Sanket on 2D
bar codes - in particular the QR Code from Denso.

For the last couple of years I spent in Japan, this little baby was
popping up all over the place - subway posters, business cards, bar
coasters, websites, the back of supermarket receipts ... you get the
picture. Most of the mobile phones over there come with the reader
preloaded and there are a couple of free generators available (Google
QR Code generator) as well as the official one available from the
Denso site..

Anyway, as cool as (I think) that is, its kinda going the opposite
direction to what Dante was asking about. But, from the guys and gals
who brought you the code comes a range of scanners that you might be
interested in.

This one
(http://www.denso-wave.com/en/adcd/product/qrcode/qk11/index.html)
caught my eye with the following line -
"Superior reading speed achieved even on mobile phone LCDs with
different contrasts, colors and reflections."
However, there are range of others @
http://www.denso-wave.com/en/adcd/product/qrcode/index.html

Might be worth a look.