The biggest issue so far that Gather.com faced/es is an economics/human
behavior issue. Incentives do strange things to user behavior. Gather uses a
point system to incent people to public articles. You get more points if the
article you published is popular - rated high, highly trafficed, highly
commented upon. This does all kinds of things to people's behavior. High
quality, high intergrity articles published by bloggers may get neglected
because they are high quality and require thought. A blog entry like "Funny
words that begin with S" can get 100 comments on the article and earn the
blogger alot of points. There is a rating system 1-10 for articles as well.
This also introduces interesting human behavior reactions that I could go
into offline. The point is that when you create an incentive program - be
care how its constructed.