Bryan, thanx for Jason's link.

Jim, actually there were some studies done about how in the US b/c
teens were not on phones as early as Europe they invested themselves
into IM culture and have slowly transitioned to phones and SMS. Thus
the Sidekick being so successful here in the US. It's main use is
SMS. The Sony product, Helio and also have strong IM clients as well.

So it isn't "we are behind" thing. It is more, we did things
differently.