Bob Sampson asked:
> Does anyone have a link to any good R&D on the usage of a "Print Friendly"
> link on a website. If it's used at all, if 1% of people click on it, etc.
<snip>
> I just notice that I see it in a lot of mockups we get from ad companies(the
> kids of design companies that don't do many websites), and I just don't put a
> "print" link into any of my mockups, since I figure it's a pretty much
> useless function.
> Wouldn't an "Open in Word" be more useful? Stripping the template out, and
> having a nice word doc with the content in it.

I don't have any hard data on web sites to point to, but if I were a bettin'
man I'd say providing an action to generate a print-ready format of viewed
content is a generally highly desirable feature for many users. Of course,
there's the design for sustainability considerations as well, as have been
discussed in other threads.

For intranets: We recently designed a content-rich employee portal for Campbell
Soup Company, and provided a Print/Email/Save... action on every portlet.
Selecting the action generates a PDF format of the content in the portlet,
which of course is suitable for downloading, printing, and emailing as an
attachment. I can't share detailed stats, but I can tell you that
Print/Email/Save... is the single most frequently used function on the portal.
And there's much anecdotal feedback that user's love this feature.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Paul
~