Just started using it a little yesterday and today. My initial thoughts:

- It seems like most of the effort was spent on updating the UI to be more consistent across the Adobe products. The jury's out for me on whether this is better or worse. Probably some of both, but mostly it's just different. Since I don't use the other Adobe products very much, I don't see much benefit here, but I understand why they are doing it.

- Second most noticable thing was that there seems to be a lot of new functionality that will make doing visual design more robust (more/ better tools for working with colors, type along paths, combining/ editing paths, spacing objects, working with masks, etc.). I'm sure much of this is borrowed from Illustrator & Photoshop. Cool if that is important to you (which it sometimes is for me).

- It looks like they've spent some time improving how Symbols and the Common Library work, but frankly what was introduced in CS3 seemed like they rushed to include it (beta functionality, not well thought out). It doesn't look like the functionality in CS4 is dramatically different, but hopefully it just works (better).

- There's more emphasis on using styles (styles are added to the Properties panel, you can easily redefine a style based on the selection, etc.). This seems like it will be handy and good once I start to really use it. But, why did they add a bunch of goofy new built-in styles?

Some cool small things that already seem really handy:
- Smart guides are great -- they let you align things on the fly easily without having to use the align tool. The potential for this to just be annoying in complex documents seems high, but it's easy enough to toggle on/off.
- Line with arrowhead(s) is a built-in vector object. Yay!
- There's a "measure tool" (another built-in vector object) which will be great for annotating (as you increase the width/height, it updates a text field with the dimension in pixels!) - There are functions to match the width and/or height of objects (e.g., select 2 rectangles, then click a button make them the same width). I guess they are slowly incorporating great tools that John Dunning built as Fireworks extensions years ago (thanks John, I still use that stuff all the time).

They seem to be touting this version as being great for prototyping... I haven't really explored that yet.

-Adam