John,

In general, I would tend to agree with your argument. But, the answer
you are looking for may depend on whether the scenario of the user
working back from a monthly payment figure, rather than from a desired
loan amount, is important.

This may in turn depend on the kind of loans your client is providing
(auto, line of credit, home equity, etc.). That, combined with the
specific usage patterns you are trying to address, should dictate
whether the monthly payment scenario is accommodated explicitly, or
implicitly through real-time feedback.

Dmitry