This is a very good question, and a very good point from Chauncey, thanks!

I actually am working on a redesign right now... The old site featured a
horizontal login form.
One of my latest modifications was to switch to vertical, because ... well,
horizontal forms
look weird. But Chauncey, your point is valid: only now I realize that I
really want to see
the username I entered when I type in the password. It helps me be
consistent.

As for the field length, you forgot to add a quintessential "Log in" button,
which makes
the form even longer.
http://www.kongregate.com/ has a nice horizontal form for login: they place
labels
inside the inputs, which I think is advisable to do.

--------
http://nomorestories.com