I draw a distinction between choosing country and choosing language.

Most often designers choose to use a map and/or list as a country
select. I generally would not expect the country name to be in a
different language or character set than the primary.

For language selection, I think it is perfectly appropriate to use
the target countries target language as the link name. For backup,
some designers use flags as a secondary label (Union Jack for
English, Tricolor for French, etc.)

./matthew