On Jun 20, 2008, at 8:13 AM, Guillermo Ermel wrote:

I'm assisting the design team to create an e-commerce website. The website has a few hundred items, with the typical product-category left navigation bar in the home page and listings page, with 10 to 20 categories and probably subcategories. Also typical, when browsing categories with that left navbar, you get the usual "you are here" visual feedback in it.

The website also has a product search input box on every page.

Guillermo,

If you only have a few hundred items, then you should be avoiding sending people to search. The odds of them entering a term that your engine can match to something they want gets slimmer with the fewer items you have to search for.

Instead, it sounds like a multi-level category listing that displays all (or most) of the items will serve you best.

I'd recommend you try that approach and not invest too much in the search results.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks