Folks,

If you've every thought that newcomers to HCI/IxDA could benefit from your experience, perhaps you might consider directing the Masters in HCI Program at Carnegie Mellon University. I've been doing it for 11 years and it's time for me to pass the baton and get back to more research, so CMU is looking to hire a new Director. I can tell you that our students and alumni are exciting, diverse, mature, smart as all get-out, and generally wonderful people to be around. It's a job that will keep surprising you and make you proud.

In general, ours is a professional masters program (on a path to interdisciplinary work in industry, not into academic research), so we are looking for an experienced professional to direct the program and a PhD is not required. Although the department resides in the School of Computer Science, many of our faculty come from backgrounds other than CS (e.g., Design, Cognitive Psychology, Social Psychology) and we value all HCI-relevant areas equally in the masters program. So don't let our affiliation fool you, a CS degree is not required. We are especially interested in someone who can teach Design classes, as we have both required courses in Design and extremely popular electives that we would like to expand. If you are an accomplished professional at a point where you want to educate the next generation of HCIers, I encourage you to apply.

You can find information about the job at
http://www.hcii.cmu.edu/jobs/
... information about the department at
http://www.hcii.cmu.edu/
... and information about the masters program at
http://www.hcii.cmu.edu/Academics/Masters/masters.html

We hope to hear from you,
Bonnie

Bonnie E. John
Professor and Director of the MHCI Program
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University