I caught the inadvertent "Great timing" pun too late...  The post had
already left the station.

I'm focusing on providing some elegant features to the functionality of the
alarm that will ease people into their day.  The slow ramp is something I've
always wanted.  (I haven't quite figured out the foot massage option)
More importantly, however, I want those same people to be able to relax at
the end of their day.  If they get home late from a long trip, stumble into
their bedroom and in a half zombie state try to set their alarm for an early
meeting the next morning, I don't want to inundate them with options and
questions.

I can add things to the way the alarm operates to make it more pleasant, but
the biggest failing in just about every alarm clock on the market is the
convoluted method of setting it.  (The AM/PM thing for example.  That's
always referred to as the user making a mistake in setting it, but it's a
flaw in design that STILL hasn't been overcome)

I don't understand the "end noise" time.  As a deep sleeper, I've on
occasion cursed my own alarm clock for turning itself off after a set period
of time.  There should be no "end noise" time.  The "end noise" time is when
you finally get your lazy butt out of bed and manually -- by choice -- end
the noise.

I agree that some people might find it nice to be able to adjust how long
before the set wake-up time the "ramp from zero" starts, but if it's just
hard-coded at a pre-defined time based on user research, people won't even
notice the choice is missing.  I want them to say "oh that's so easy" when
they go to bed, and then say "oh that's so nice" when they wake up.

So, for some informal user research, what do YOU think is a nice period of
time for the slow increase of volume?
Say you set the alarm for 6:00 am, and you've set the max volume for 70%, I
personally think 15 minutes from zero to max is about right..
That's one person.
Please email me or post to the list with what you'd like.

(and yes, I'm still trying to figure out the foot massage option.)