Nancy,
We are working on a similar system!

What about having all the behavior happen on rollover (skip the clicking
part.) When the user has rolled over the item - no other areas can be active.
Then when the user rolls - off the the focused item with text, etc, or clicks
a small close box - all areas become active again. (depending on the
situation, a small directive telling the user that they can get more info on
rollover may be necessary).

If that isn't practical, I would still say that while an item is active
(clicked on), that other roll overs should be disabled until the user either
actively closes the interaction or rolls off of it.

Donna

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:26:08 -0400, Nancy Roberts wrote