This is a very good issue Jens.  One of the issues that happens
everyday is that someone on a product team will refer to poor
usability, but not highlight what the comparison is for this judgment
-- is it poor relative to the last version, user expectations, the
vice president's opinion, the major competitor.....  In addition to
the object of comparison, there is also the common failure to clearly
express dimension of usability or user experience the comparison deals
with (learnability versus expert use/efficiency).  So you could have a
dual problem where the object of comparison is not clear and the
dimension of interest is not explicit.

There is a book that deals with missing or inappropriate comparisons
in a book from 2001 (Chapter 4) that highlights the issue you wrote
about:  Best, J. (2001). Damned lies and statistic. Bekeley, CA,
University of California Press.  The book makes the point that it is
hard to understand or interpret lone statistics or implicit
comparisons.  There are few books out like this one that highlight
this problem in media and scientific reports.

I routinely ask the questions "What is the goal of this (meeting,
project, brainstorming session...)?, but you bring up the point that
when a person makes a comparative statement, that we should ask what
the object of comparison is.

Another twist on this issue would involve some of the cognitive biases
that can affect how we perceive data. Some of the work by Kahneman and
Tversky and others about common, but powerful cognitive biases like
the "availability heuristic" where people judge the liklihood of
things by their vividness (which overrides baseline statistical
information) and the law of small numbers.

Very good point and nice article.

Chauncey