I've noticed it in friends of mine who use these platforms, and even
in me as well!! I'm a quite recent Mac user (been using Windows for
ages) and I'm strangely finding it logical to put stuff there. Never
did on Windows though, I always had to create "work", photos,
downloads, directories (or even drives) like most of you seem to do.

Slightly off topic: there is also the difference between using
WinAmp, having your audio files in manually defined folders, or
iTunes, where the app creates its own folder structure (which the
user don't have to see). When I switched from Windows to Mac I
thought the iTunes way was quite intrusive and claustrophobic, but I
soon changed my mind when I realized I don't HAVE to have total
control over every little file. Switching OS seems to change our
behavior?