I think the trend is that higher gas prices this will help ecommerce, as the
cost to find and purchase items is not affected by increases in gas prices,
(note shipping is a factor, but this is often offset by lower prices online
and discounts eaten by the retailer via shipping promotions).

A few years back I worked with a large fulfilment co. and  I believe even
back then the conventional wizdom was that high gas = more internet
purchases.

--
Joseph Rich Rogan
President UX/UI Inc.